Sunday Salon: Taking a break

The Sunday Salon

A week after getting home from a fortnight in France, it doesn’t quite feel like I never had a holiday at all, but the holiday relaxation is certainly fading fast.

As I mentioned while I was away, I didn’t get much reading done on holiday. I don’t know if that was because the books I read weren’t very absorbing, or because I was distracted by holiday stuff (Places to see! People to spend time with!) or because I’ve given myself too much reading that had to get done this year and not enough reading for fun, so that relaxing on holiday meant doing less reading. Whichever it was, I was disappointed to have only read a book and a half in two weeks. But since coming home I’ve powered through two and half books, all of which have pulled me right in and been a delight. So was it the choice of books after all, or did I need a reading break?

What about you? Do you ever need a break from reading? Does it worry you when it happens?

One of the good things about being home is that we can throw ourselves into the life of the city again. Friday night I went to see a production of Macbeth at Bristol’s Tobacco Factory Theatre. It was innovative, using electronic music and other modern effects to heavily cut the running time and really concentrate on the themes of madness, ambition and guilt. It was strange, intense and moving. Kudos to Filter theatre company for such a bold adaptation.

I’m going to get back to reading now. Maybe I can make it three books in a week!

6 thoughts on “Sunday Salon: Taking a break

1. Bryan G. Robinson September 14, 2014 at 12:36 pm

I don’t know if it’s the choice of books or not since you didn’t tell us the titles. 😉 As I get older, I don’t worry about breaks from reading. I’m just glad when I can find the long stretches to read, long, lazy Sunday afternoons for example.

2. Kate Gardner September 14, 2014 at 12:51 pm

Bryan Good point! I read The Quiet War by Paul McAuley and The Golden Notebook by Doris Lessing, which I blogged about earlier this week. I think the latter coloured everything else I tried to read at the same time as it was harder work than I acknowledged.

3. Bryan G. Robinson September 14, 2014 at 1:00 pm

Oops. I didn’t scroll back either. I’ve never read Leasing, but she always looked challenging to me.

4. Laurel-Rain Snow September 14, 2014 at 1:24 pm

I often need to take short breaks from reading, and I alternate my reading and TV/Movie watching. I haven’t taken any serious breaks for a while, though….I’m almost afraid that if I do, I will totally lose my momentum! As if there’s a goal line ahead…LOL.

Thanks for sharing…and for visiting my blog.

5. Deb Nance at Readerbuzz September 14, 2014 at 2:17 pm

I almost think I need to take a reading break…I am so grouchy about my books these days.

Here’s my Sunday Salon.

6. Kate Gardner September 16, 2014 at 5:22 pm

Laurel-Rain Yes, I often take short breaks for TV and film watching, but I start to worry if I don’t much reading done for more than a week. I probably should worry less!

Deb Yes, I know that grouchy feeling!